NBA General Manager Survey Released

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - JULY 10: Giannis Antetokounmpo accepts the Best Male Athlete award onstage during The 2019 ESPYs at Microsoft Theater on July 10, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

The NBA has released its annual general manager survey. Every year, questions range from Finals predictions to award winners with everything in-between. Though their predictions are nothing more than best guesses, the survey gives fans an insight into the thought processes of those running the NBA.

2019-20 NBA General Manager Survey Results

NBA Finals and Conference Standings

First and foremost, fans want to know what GM’s think about the ultimate prize: the Larry O’Brien Trophy. Last year, the champion Toronto Raptors didn’t get any love in the survey, so the results should be taken with a grain of salt.

With several teams in the mix, the consensus around the league is that the Los Angeles Clippers will take home the gold this season. The Clippers received 46 percent of the votes, in fact. The Milwaukee Bucks came in second at 36 percent and the Los Angeles Lakers in third with 11 percent. Interestingly, the Golden State Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers were the only other teams to receive votes.

The GM’s also vote on the best teams in each conference, painting a better idea of how they expect each team to fare this season. In the East, the Bucks are favorites, receiving 76 percent of votes for first place. The Philadelphia 76ers are the only other team to receive first-place votes, hauling in the other 24 percent. The Boston Celtics were picked to finish third, with the Raptors and Brooklyn Nets tied for fourth.

In the West, an astounding six different teams received first-place votes. The Clippers received 66 percent of those votes. The Lakers, despite receiving 14 percent of first-place votes, ware predicted to finish third in the West behind the Denver Nuggets. The Trail Blazers, Warriors, and Houston Rockets also received first-place votes. The Utah Jazz and San Antonio Spurs were both picked to make the playoffs, ranked fourth and eighth respectively.

NBA Award Predictions

Unsurprisingly, Giannis Antetokounmpo was predicted to repeat as league MVP. After a phenomenal 2018-19 campaign, Antetokounmpo should ultimately improve throughout the season. He will surely have plenty of competition, though. Though Antetokounmp received 52 percent of the vote, Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, and Anthony Davis all came in tied for second with 10 percent each. With all three in relatively new roles, the throne could be up for grabs. Leonard and Davis are on new teams plenty of talent, though Curry is in unfamiliar territory. For the first time in a long time, Curry will be without both Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson. With the floor virtually all to himself, he could have another outstanding season.

In another unsurprising turn of events, GM’s predicted Zion Williamson to win Rookie of the Year this season. The former Duke Blue Devil is one of the most hyped players in recent memory and has shown great promise so far in the preseason. Williams garnered 68 percent of the vote, with Ja Morant coming in second at 18 percent.

Miscellaneous 

There are literally hundreds of questions on the NBA general manager survey. The Denver Nuggets won “Best Home Court Advantage”, while Williamson took home “Most Athletic”. Steven Adams was voted the toughest player in the league and Damian Lillard is the best leader. Leonard nudged LeBron James out of first place for “best small forward”, while Curry stills sits atop the point guard list.

Overall, the survey is a very fun look into the minds of the decision-makers in the NBA. The results don’t mean much and don’t come with any trophies or in-game advantages, though they are very interesting. In the end, it is up to each player and team to change the narratives coming into a new season, as many have before. If the survey is any indication, though, NBA fans may be in for a wild ride in the 2019-20 season.

For the full NBA general manager survey, click here.

Main Photo
Embed from Getty Images

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.