While the future of the NBA is in limbo, we do know for sure that the 2020 NBA Draft will occur at some point. Many prospects are anxious to prove that they have what it takes to make it in today’s NBA after having their seasons cut short. This holds especially true for international basketball standout Killian Hayes. The 6’5″ point guard had a stellar international career with a couple of different clubs overseas. Now he will be looking to prove that he can translate his success to the NBA.
2020 NBA Draft Profile for Killian Hayes
In his earlier days of basketball, Hayes played for the Espoirs Cholet junior team, which was a prestigious league in France. After being named the MVP of the junior league, he had no problems making the senior league. After the club struggled in their initial season, Hayes considered a change of scenery. Ultimately he decided to stick it out for another year as both himself and the team made some steady improvement. He played in 34 games for the club and averaged 7.1 points and 3.1 assists at just 17 years old.
At the conclusion of the 2018-19 season, Hayes decided it was time for a change. He signed a contract with the Ratiopharm Ulm of the Basketball Bundesliga which was the top basketball league in Germany. This proved to be an ideal fit for him as he made tremendous strides as an all-around player. He quickly became an international star and began gaining traction as a possible lottery pick for the 2020 NBA Draft. On the season he averaged 12.8 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 6.2 assists per game. After the season, Hayes officially declared for the 2020 NBA Draft.
- At 6’5″ and 214 lbs, he possesses an ideal frame for a player of his position
- Can shoot from just about anywhere on the court
- Very crisp ball-handler who has no problems navigating his way through the defense
- Has superb court-vision and excels at finding open teammates
- Talented interior scorer with a plethora of moves to finish inside
- Possesses pinpoint passing ability to fit passes into even the tightest of windows
- Incredible team player who is willing to pass up shots when his teammates have better looks
- As a defender, he reads offenses very well and excels at picking off the offense
- Uses a great blend of physicality and technique to lock down his opponents
- A very reliable shooter from beyond the arc
- Has spent his entire career playing against more experienced players
- Has the potential to have a long and successful career in the NBA
- Due to the coronavirus, there are only ten games of real footage on him this season
- He favors his left hand way too much when he is driving in the paint
- Hasn’t shown the willingness to improve with his right hand which will make him more predictable to opponents
- Averaged over three turnovers per game in his last season
- Has a little bit lower ceiling than other prospects in this draft class
NBA Player Comparison
Killian Hayes almost directly compares to Miami Heat point guard Goran Dragic. Both are very well-rounded players who can punish you in many aspects of the game. Dragic and Hayes can both score at a high level, but don’t predicate their entire game on it. They both possess pinpoint passing ability and a team-first mindset
NBA Draft Projection
Killian Hayes has a lot of traits that will be desirable to just about every NBA GM in the league. His all-around style of scoring paired with his pinpoint passing ability will make him a coveted prospect by many. He needs to improve his play with his right hand and learn to be less predictable, but this won’t stop Hayes from making his way into the draft lottery. Hayes will likely be a late lottery pick but could sneak into the top ten depending on how the evaluation process plays out.